Sahara "Hoops" Aldridge
Nearly three years after Shannon and Amy Aldridge of Cape Girardeau, MO lost their 13 year-old daughter, Sahara "Hoops" Aldridge, to a malignant brain tumor, they decided to host an event that would bring the community together to raise money for the pediatric brain tumor research program at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford University, where Sahara received such excellent treatment and care. With that purpose in mind, the Hoops for Life 5K Run/Walk was born. To date, nearly $125,000 has been raised for the program! Now in its SIXTH year, it just keeps getting better! At the end of the event, we will gather together as one to honor our kids. We're going to fill up Kiwanis Park with love!
The 2015 5K Run/Walk and 1.6 Mile Power Walk!
Come out and join us for the 6th Annual Hoops for Life 5K Run/Walk! The race will be held in Cape Girardeau's beautiful Kiwanis Park, at 8 a.m. on Saturday, July 25, 2015. We are working hard to make this special event one that you'll be proud to attend. Run, walk, push a stroller, just come on out and help us support the pediatric brain tumor research program at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford University, in memory of our precious daughter, Sahara "Hoops" Aldridge. We'll have food, drinks, door prizes and FUN!
Our sixth year is even better! Not only have we added the new Hoops for Life 1.6 Mile Power Walk, but starting on March 21, 2015 you can register online for both the Hoops for Life 5k Run/Walk and the Hoops for Life 1.6 Mile Power Walk events.
- IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS!! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!! (We know this is a lot of information.)
- Thank you for entering Hoops for Life 6! We want to share some helpful tips to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Early packet pickup will take place on Friday, from 11 am to 6 pm, at Missouri Running Company. NO EARLY BIRDS, PLEASE. We are not able to begin until 11 am, so please be mindful that it is a privilege for us to set up at the store for our pickup. The store is located at 1720 Kingsway Drive in Cape Girardeau. It is also Hoops for Life Share Day at MORUNCO - a portion of every purchase made that day will go to childhood cancer research! When you come in to pick up your packet, be sure to check out the great merchandise in the store and stock up on things you need! We HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you pick up your race bag on Friday, as it is extremely busy at race headquarters on Saturday morning. If you need to pick up your race bag at the park, please do so between 6 and 7:45 am. Registration will end promptly at 7:45 am. The race will begin at 8 am sharp.
- Your packet will contain several goodies and items of interest. Please take a look at everything in the bag! Your race bib will be inside - please remember that RACE BIBS ARE NOT TRANSFERABLE to anyone else. This was stated in both the online form and on the paper forms, and required your signature. They are tabulated in a database, and the one you are assigned belongs to you alone. REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR BIB WITH YOU TO THE RACE SATURDAY MORNING.
- Our best advice for parking at Kiwanis Park: ARRIVE EARLY! Parking attendants will be guiding cars, but please realize that this is a BIG event with a lot of traffic. Enter the park using the Perryville Road entrance. The Lexington entrance will be closed until the conclusion of the race. The Perryville Road entrance will be closed at 7:45 am, and will not reopen until all participants have left the starting line.
- Thank you, and we hope you have a great time at Hoops for Life 6!